Sunday, February 5, 2012

A day with Grandpa Wayne

When I was younger I spent alot of the week at my Grandma and Grandpa's house during the summer. This is where I would go while my parents went to work. Just like any other morning you could hear the coffee maker going as you stepped inside. Also that smell of coffee spread through the house. As I would be walking to the bedroom door and hear the Price is Right on TV, I knew grandpa was up. I would walk in and sit by him on the bed. Once in a while you could see Grandpa pull out the comb from his back pocket to slick back his hair. After the show was over, I would go and get another cup of coffee for him, and when he finshed that we would head out to the backyard. Grandpa loved birds, his favorite being the Yellow Finch. He would take out his bird book and show me all the different kinds we saw out back and the difference between the males and females. I never could understand why the males were prettier than the females though! He had many different feeders for the birds. We would go and get the feed from the shed and fill them up, and something a little sweeter we would give to the hummingbirds. There was also a bag of peanuts he kept in the shed for the chipmunks. Usually if I grabbed a handfull, half of it I would eat myself! (: There was a rock wall into the side of the woods in their backyard where the chipmunks would be. Sometimes grandpa could get the chipmunks to take the peanuts directly from his hands. I tried that so many times, but I would be out there forever trying to get them to take them from my hand. They would always peek through the rocks and than scatter, until I would finally set them on the rock for them to eat. After doing this we would sit outside on the back porch and chat while he enjoyed his favorite Pall Mall cigarette. When it was time for me to go home I knew grandpa would ask me to come into his bedroom to get some sort of candy. He kept them either in his nightstand drawer or a bag somewhere in the room. I always had so much fun at their house and was excited to go back the next morning. Lucky for me if I wanted to visit, their house was in the next town only 5 minutes away. If I had another day with him, I know we would be watching the Price is Right, drinkin coffee, and feeding birds and chipmunks. One thing that will always remind me of my Grandpa Wayne will be a Yellow Finch.

No comments:

Post a Comment